Tuesday 26 November 2013

Excuse me, do you have the time?

Well tuck my t-shirt and call me Mr Darcy if it isn't Wednesday already. I must admit I am feeling a little naked this morning. Fear not I'm not ACTUALLY naked, I wouldn't want to put you all off your breakfast, merely in the metaphorical sense, as I seem to of left the house without my watch on. Silly I know, I'm sure there's loads of people who don't actually wear a watch and manage quite well.

I mean let's face it almost everything electronic has a clock on these days, so it's not like I'm not going to know what time it is. Unless of course I just leave the building and go aimlessly wandering about. (It could happen! Wouldn't be the first time!) Of course if I did, and I wanted to know the time, I would have to do that really awkward thing that is probably very rare these days and actually ask a stranger if they had the time.

Always awkward that, as no matter how the question is asked it always seems to sound like a chat up line. For this reason alone, if ever you find yourself in the situation of wanting to know the time when you are without any gadgets to tell you, it's always best find the oldest person you can to ask. Admittedly they will probably say something like "Oooo no dear! I haven't had a watch since 1968 when my Albert died, God rest his soul. Go no need for a watch when you get to my age dear. Lovely man my Albert, always made me a cup of tea in bed every day no matter how busy he was or how much of a rush he was in. He always made me tea and made time for me, and do you know . . ." At this point it's probably best that you interrupt the old person, as they will now assume they can talk at you about their entire life stories. So best go and find another old person who looks like they may have a watch on. The point being is that you can feel safe asking the time from someone of advanced generations without it sounding like you're to trying to offer them a good time. Unless of course that is your intention, which is of course your business.

Still, where was I? Ahh yes, left my watch at home! Wrist looks a bit odd without it to be honest. Still better go, look at the time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment