Monday 24 February 2014

The Tuesday Cometh

*whispers* Morning! Well you'll all be pleased to know, . . . well most of you will be pleased to know, . . . okay, maybe some of you will be pleased to know, . . . tuh! *rolls eyes* okay, a small handful of you will be pleased to know that I managed to survive my brush with the Office Dementors yesterday. I didn't even have to cast my Patronus Charm at any point, which if you didn't know takes on the form of Bernard Cribbins. I managed to keep my head down, and just quietly beavered away all day, while keeping my peripheral vision locked onto them should they have started to drift across the office towards me. Of course if they did, I suddenly found that I had to visit the loo, or attend to one of the printers, or even make the tea. So thankfully any questions were then aimed towards my colleague who sits next to me. Phew! By the end of the day, or to be more accurate, by the time they left the office, which was around half three, I had become like a stealthy and silent office ninja. They'd close in on me only to discover when they got to where I was, I was no longer there.

Still, another Tuesday beckons it long taloned finger towards us and I'm afraid we do have to go and join it for what will no doubt be another gripping adventure involving using all new levels of tolerance, patience and stamina. Still, face it we must, and if we all stick together and lean on each other when we need it most I'm sure we'll manage to get through it by the skin of our teeth once again.

Interesting phrase that, it's origins actually come from the Bible! Job 19:20 says: "I am nothing but skin and bones; I have escaped only by the skin of my teeth." Now we know that teeth don't have skin, of course, so I guess the writer may have been alluding to the teeth's plaque ridden surface or simply to a minute measure - something that might now be referred to, with less poetic imagery than the biblical version, as "as small as the hairs on a gnat's gonad".

Right, well, I best stop lollygagging and start busying as they say. See all you cherubs tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment